Since being in Australia I have realized that I am capable of being homesick. I’m somewhat surprised by this. Mainly because I haven’t really had a place that I would call home for quite some time. I have managed to move from place to place for most of the last six years, never staying in one spot for more than a few months at a time. It’s like I thrive on being unsettled and I feel uncomfortable when I start getting too comfortable. But for the first time I miss home. And I think that home is Canada. I never thought I would say it, but it’s true. I think that I really am Canadian and there are many things that I love and miss about my home country. I’ve been telling everyone here that I’m from Toronto and I don’t feel too ashamed of it. Yes it’s more boring than saying you’re from Barbados but still… It’s not all that bad. I think I might be proud to be Canadian.
I have learned over the years how to adjust quite smoothly to change. But as much as I long for the excitement of new places and new people – I have grown weary of the constant changes in my life. Whether it be the changing relationships or the frequent changes in my living situations. There is always plenty of adjusting to do and I’m not sure if I’m cut out for much more of it. I just want a bit of constancy. A bit of familiarity. A bit of stability. I want to be able to hold on to that one, tangible thing that will always stay the same. But isn’t that what keeps life interesting? The fact that nothing ever stays the same?
No comments:
Post a Comment