it's official. in four weeks i'll be boarding a flight with my fifteen other classmates, bound for the continent of Africa where i will live and work for six months. yes indeed.
living penniless is quite the adventure. i've seen money come from places and people that i would have never expected. i came here with no money in my bank account, a fairly massive credit card debt, one suitcase, and a shit load of partially blind faith. so far, the good lord hasn't let me down! i'm not even kidding. i've seen him provide thousands of dollars within hours - but i've also had simple needs taken care of.
my only pair of non-flip-flop shoes have been replaced by converse.
my lost/stolen ipod has been replaced with an even better one.
and the list could go on...
God is not skimpy. let me tell you.
there are moments where I absolutely loathe living like this. I have plenty of days where I wish that I could go shopping and buy some new clothes. when I would love to go out for dinner or have peanut butter on my toast instead of vegemite. (australians eat vegemite on just about everything) The process of trusting God for money is painful and often exhausting but i can't think of a more rewarding way to live. isn't it insane how much of an issue we allow money to become? it has so much power. so much influence. so much control over our lives and our societies.
i think i've been using the money excuse for one too many years. i have put conditions on my calling and told God that i'll do things if there's a steady income involved. i've been unwilling to step out and take risks because of money...
it's incredible how different life looks when money is no longer an issue. the options are endless - the choices unending - the work of God limitless. that is how i want to live from now on. without conditions or limits. because the reality is... we serve a limitless, infinite, eternal God who sees no boundaries when it comes to fulfilling his purposes on earth… I want more than anything to play a role in that purpose. And if the only thing holding me back is money? Then I say – screw money. I’ve made a promise to allow God to be the leader of my life and I will do everything I can to follow without confining or limiting him.
Tonight I will be put to sleep by the dreamy melodies of Baths. You should probably have a listen.
No comments:
Post a Comment