On Christmas day here in Tanzania I received a phone call from a woman named Laila. I had met her about 3 weeks prior to that at Temeke hospital in the postnatal ward. An 18-year-old girl who had given birth to her first child. I was going around from woman to woman checking on them and their newborns. When I arrived at her bed, I remember being astonished by her beauty and the fact that she looked so young. I introduced myself and asked her a couple of basic questions in Swahili. I congratulated her and immediately observed that her newborn daughter was very unwell. Underweight, severely dehydrated and a very high fever of 40 degrees celcius. Why was she born so unwell I thought? She was incredibly weak and lethargic – struggling for her life. I immediately started praying. For some reason I felt a deep and passionate love for this baby and her mother. (A love that I am sure God had placed within me). I explained to the mother that her baby was too hot as I unwrapped the layers of kangas. I quickly went to get help and advice from my staff as well as one of the local doctors. The doctor confirmed the baby’s condition and said that she would be referred to a better-equipped hospital. I continued to sit with Laila and held her baby who I named Emiliana for the next couple of hours – cooling her off with a wet kanga, checking her temperature frequently, and helping the mother to breastfeed. I literally fell in love with that tiny girl. I prayed and prayed and prayed and when it came time for me to leave I was able to introduce Laila’s mum, a first time bebe (grandmother) to Emiliana. I left her with my phone number and hoped that she would call me.
Thankfully, she did. And on Christmas day. A couple of days later I was in her home, reunited with both Laila and Emiliana who was doing much better than the last time I had seen her. As we all sat together in their home, I felt overwhelmed by the goodness of God. I believe that my prayers must have made a difference in that child’s life and I look forward to visiting her again before we leave Tanzania.
| me, laila, rachel (holding emiliana) and laila's mum |
No comments:
Post a Comment