Before coming to India, I had already been captured by the faces of its children. From the various movies and photos I’d seen, it was obvious that this place has some of the most beautiful children.
Yesterday I had the privilege of borrowing my friend’s Nikon dslr camera and spent the day taking photos. First, I went shoe shopping with a couple of girls at Charminar. It’s amazing what having a camera with you can do. I made friends with so many people who wanted me to take their picture and had plenty of willing subjects. It’s such a good way to make friends! And it helped to lessen the harassment of storeowners trying to get me to buy things. I would simply tell them I was only looking and wanting to take photos… Unfortunately, my battery died shortly after arriving and I was forced to come back home to charge them.
After a couple hours of charging, I headed out to a place I’ve wanted to visit for a while now. A long street in a slum area filled with basket weavers, children, and shanty houses. The only way I knew how to get there was because there is a circus at the end of the road—so I told the auto driver to take me to the circus. I nearly lost my mind with excitement when I saw the faces of so many beautiful children and women. I was overjoyed by the opportunity to capture them. I would approach different women and ask for permission to take their picture and to photograph their children. The large majority was fine with it and I went shutter crazy! As I walked, I had a growing collection of kids trailing behind me, all wanting to be the subject of the next photograph. I fell in love with them immediately. All so unique, so beautiful, and filled with a pure sense of happiness. Here are a few of my favorites from the day. Really loving taking portraits.
I can’t wait to go back and visit them again.
It’s been a month and I am just beginning to love India.
No comments:
Post a Comment